Sunday, April 15, 2012

Butterflies Part 1 (technical difficulties)

This was the second year that we have purchased caterpillars so we could watch them develop into butterflies.  I'm a big fan of this.  If you haven't done it before, you need to.  (Buy it here)  Last year when we did this, everything went just as the directions said it would.  This year, not so much.  Two of the caterpillars were a lot smaller than the others, they didn't spin silk webs that help them get to the top of the container, and I think they ran out of food and started to eat the paper on the top of the container that they were supposed to attach their chrysalis to.   In fact, one of the butterflies never made it to the top of the container and form a chrysalis on the bottom of the jar.  Crap.  Now what?  I did some research and found out that I could hot glue the chrysalis to a piece of paper and it would be fine.  This all seemed ok in theory.  And then I actually tried to glue it on and it stared wiggling!!!  Ah!  This was no bueno.  The little caterpillar, totally unrecognizable at this point, knew that I had ahold of it and was wiggling its little butt at top speed (for a caterpillar).  Needless to say, it was quite difficult to get this little guy's rear attached to the paper.  To make things even worse, while I was hanging up the paper with the other 4 attached to it, one fell off and so I had to do the same thing to it.  After all was said and done, I had five securely hanging chrysalises.  









Stay tuned for part 2

1 comments:

Team Gourley said...

That is weird. I hope mine don't shake. It kinda disturbs me. lol

Post a Comment